Erie County Fair Housing Partnership
Who We Are
Welcome! The Erie County Fair Housing Partnership was created in 1997 as a not-for-profit organization committed to promoting equal opportunity in housing for all residents of Western New York. The Partnership has a diverse representation from various segments of the community including government, banking, real estate, legal services, advocacy groups and community organizations (see list of current members).
Why Fair Housing is Important
Housing plays a large role in defining a person's quality of life. Where you live affects your access to social, cultural, educational and many other community amenities such as schools, transportation, employment, medical services, retail and professional services, recreational and entertainment opportunities and much more. Housing discrimination is an illegal obstacle to housing choice and denies people the opportunity to fully experience and enjoy the "American Dream" of choosing, owning and being responsible for their own house and home.
National Fair Housing Month is April
The Erie County Fair Housing Partnership, Inc. encourages residents to participate in the recognition of National Fair Housing Month in April. The celebration of Fair Housing Month is an acknowledgment of the efforts and victories of all who have worked towards guaranteeing equal access to housing for all.
Under Federal and State law, it is illegal to discriminate in the sale, rental and advertising of housing based upon race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, disability, marital status, familial status, military status or sexual orientation. In 2018, Erie County, New York passed a Fair Housing Law. The County's new law prohibits housing discrimination due to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, national origin, source of income, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, familial status or immigration and citizenship status. The full text of the Law can be found at Erie County's website. The recognition of Fair Housing Month reinforces an awareness of the barriers that inhibit the ability of entire segments of our population to freely access the housing of their choice.
The Partnershp Offers Free Education and Outreach to the Public
- free fair housing presentations to audiences of all ages
- for schools a presentation using our "DOTS" coloring book
contact Christopher Hull, President
Shown is Bryan Day reading the "DOTS" book
to a class of Kindergarteners.
In 2018, County of Erie, New York, passed a Fair Housing Law
Here is a link to the to the law.
ECFHP Sponsored Projects, Presentations, Seminars, Outreach and Educational Endeavors, 2019
To raise public awareness about the persistence and prevalence of housing discrimination, and to inform people of their rights under fair housing law, the Erie County Fair Housing Partnership and its membership are promoting a series of activities. This year's Fair Housing Month events include:
- Come see HOME (Housing Opportunities Made Equal) at Community Services - Tuesday, April 2 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm - 3297 Bailey Avenue, Buffalo NY
- Frontier SD Community Education/Tenants Rights Workshop - Wednesday, April 3 - 6:00 - 7:00 pm - Hamburg Town Hall, South Park Avenue, Hamburg NY
- Fair Housing Proclamation Ceremony - Thursday, April 4 - 11:00 am - Town of Tonawanda Municipal Bldg - 2919 Delaware Ave, 2nd Floor - Tonawanda, NY
- Housing Fair-Amherst Center for Senior Services - Saturday, April 6 - 9:00 am - 11:00 am - Amherst Center for Senior Services
- HOME at Saturday Academy - Saturday, April 6 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm - Frank Sedita School, 21 Lowell, Buffalo NY
- HOME Tenant Training - Wednesday, April 10 - 5:00 - 6:00 pm - HOME, 1542 Main Street, Buffalo NY
- Green Book Movie Showing - Wednesday, April 10 - 7:00 pm - Hamburg Town Hall, South Park Avenue, Hamburg NY
- Health & Housing Community Forum - Thursday, April 11 - 5:30 - 7:30 pm - Frank Sedita School, 21 Lowell, Buffalo NY
- Landlord Training at HOME - Wednesday, April 17 - 3:00 - 5:00 pm - HOME, Main Street, Buffalo NY
- Buffalo Urban League Fair Housing Community Forum - Wednesday, April 17 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm - Buffalo Urban League
- Buffalo Urban League First-Time Homebuyers Course - Saturday, April 20 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Buffalo Urban League
- Housing Opportunities Made Equal Annual Meeting - Thursday, April 25 - 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm - Shea's Seneca 2188 Seneca St
Dinner/Auctions/Music/Awards - $85.00 per person - Call 854-1400 or homeny.org for tickets
For more details on events during National Fair Housing Month, go to www.homeny.org or call 716-854-1400